Saturday, January 3, 2009

My first attempt at fondant





I wanted to make James a wii-mote cake. At first I was just going to do white icing and decorate the best I could. Then I decided to be adventurous and try making fondant. Somehow I always want to do new and crazy things at the last minute. It was definitely educational...always make sure you have more than enough ingredients, when it says you MAY have to add more of xyz just go ahead and realize that you WILL have to and lastly have a plan B. I've found that if you have a plan B the likely hood of needing it decreases, if you don't have one you'll wish you did. I had a plan B, but thank goodness the cake turned out! The fondant itself was VERY sweet, but somehow wasn't overpowering when it was on the cake. Also it's a little yellow because I didn't have clear vanilla extract and I don't know why it seems so shiney. It's FAR from perfect but overall I'm happy with the results and will probably use fondant again on future cakes. James was totally excited and loved that I made his cake again this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cakes ROCKS!!! You are the coolest mom, ever!! LMK how much you are charging, I may be ordering up something special for dh ;)

Rock on sister!

Miriam said...

Wow, for making Fondant your first time, your cake turned out awesome! I love the wii-mote idea. Very clever. I'm excited to see what comes next.