
So I have this issue. I refuse to replace things or buy new unless there is NO way to recover, revive, or otherwise repair the old thing. My washer was no exception. We bought it used and had it ourselves for 10 years so who knows how old it really was. In the time we had it it had a water pump replaced, a transmission replaced and repair done to the buttons/knobs. We did the repairs and bought the transmission used so it was fairly cheap to do it all. Though, in hindsight had I know the arguements that we'd have trying to work on the washer together I'd have just replaced the whole thing. Ah, but anyone who knows me knows Im far too stubborn for that. I will not be defeated by the washing machine! So, still not admitting ANY defeat, it was time for the washer to go. Nevermind that a spring broke on the drum, it was extremely inefficient in both the energy and water department and that it's frame had been rocked loose (likely as a result of drum being loose causing it to beat itself up on spin). So yeah, it was in great shape. Anyhow, after agonizing over it for weeks we decided to take the plunge. We went and got a highly efficient washer and dryer set. I am pretty excited to see the difference this will make on my water and power bills. In theory it should pay for itself in a just a couple of years. I was amazed at how little water this thing uses. And the dryer dries so fast! We freecycled our old set (with full disclosure of their issues). After getting over the initial shock of the change (something Im not a fan of) I'm really enjoying my new toys. Oh and because they are front loaders and we are deprived of entertainment, we all sat around and watched it wash and dry. I wish I had taken a picture of it, my kids with their faces all pressed up against the new fancy 'clothes cleanin' machine' <---insert true Alabama accent. I suddenly have the Beverly Hillbilly's song stuck in my head...
2 comments:
That's so exciting! I hope to get a new set some day as I swear it takes 3 hours just to dry clothes and the electricity is costing me an arm & a leg. What brand did you buy?
Wow, nice!!! I'm jealous ;) That sounds like my washing machine, I've had it for 7 years and I paid $50 for it and it was no spring chicken when we took it over, it sounds like a freight train when it's on the spin cycle but hey, we still have clean clothes!
Post a Comment