Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A New Day ~ Hungarian Butterhorn Cookies


Can you believe this is the only picture I could find of this cookie!? Guess I will need to take some of my own. These are one of my favorite cookies. I couldn't fully appreciate them until I made my first batch. My grandma would have dozens of these made at Christmas time and that was in addition to the several other types of cookies of which she also made dozens of. She must have been baking for days!

Miriam, you have to let me know how these turn out for you! :)
~ Dough ~
1 package yeast
4 cups general purpose flour, sifted
1-1/4 cups margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks (beaten)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
~ Filling ~
3 egg whites
1 cup of ground nuts (must be well-grounded)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
*Filling can also be your choice of preserves, my favorite is apricot. No prep time, just spoon from the jar!!*

Dough: Sift flour with salt, add yeast. Cut in margarine, add beaten egg yolks, sour cream and vanilla. Stir until just blended. Wrap in wax paper and chill while making filling.

Filling: Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually fold in sugar, nuts and vanilla.

Brush pastry board or cloth with powdered sugar. Divide dough into 8 parts. Keep balance of dough refrigerated while working on each part.Roll out each portion of dough very thin and round. Cut into 8 wedges. Put one teaspoon of filling on each wedge and roll up from the broad side. Curl and place on buttered baking sheet, tips down. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. When cool, roll or sprinkle the horns with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I'm so excited to try this. Thanks for posting it. I'll go through my recipes & try to post some soon.