Monday, April 28, 2008

Not a good day ~ Someone broke into our home

So, I went to work out today all was going well. Had lunch with Joe and came home to hang out with the kids and do laundry. Well, I began to notice a few things out of place in our bedroom, not a big deal things that might have just been knocked over. Then as I looked around more I noticed my jewelry box was gone as well as Joes briefcase. His jewelry box had been moved around and stuff on both of our dressers was knocked over. I quickly did a run through to make sure there wasn't anyone in the closets or showers as I dialed the sheriffs dept and I also sent the kids to a neighbor so that A)they'd be safe and B) they wouldn't freak out when the sheriff got here. So as I'm multitasking I find that the front window was the point of entry and they walked out the front door because the latch was off. Joe's briefcase had all of his important church things in it including his scriptures that he's had since he was a kid as well as some pics of our kids and other things that just can't be replaced. My jewelry box had EVERY SINGLE item of jewelry I've ever owned in it including my engagement ring, all of my earrings, necklaces and charms, our class rings, rings that were my dads, a ring that was my grandfathers and the one that kills me the most was a ring that both my dad and his dad wore and it was handed down to me. Also in that box was all of the little jewelry items my kids have made me as well as a beautiful necklace that Joe gave me for my first Mother's Day. I thankfully was wearing my wedding band as I always do and had at least a pair of studs in for earrings today. I just can't begin to describe how violated and angry I feel.....ok so as I type this a man has called and found Joes briefcase!!! It is in BESSEMER! That is an hour away. At least his scriptures are back, God is Good and He will bless the man who called us to return this to us. I hold out little hope for my jewelry box, but little hope is still hope.

2 comments:

Fauna said...

Wayne's mom got robbed over a year ago and cannot sleep in the room where the guys broke in and rampaged through all of her stuff even though she has installed extra security gadgets. All of her jewelry (except what she was wearing) and coin collection were stolen. This happened shortly before Christmas so she was fortunate that when she drove up that they hadn't gotten to the living room yet. The guys ran off before she saw them. I know that I still check the backseat of my car when I get in. When I was working at Riviera someone busted my window and stole me purse that had $2 and the ultrasound pics of Ian. Nothing was recovered, but at least they didn't get away with much and my cards were all canceled within a couple hours of the incident. I'd start called pawn shops in Bessemer and see if anything fits the description of your stuff. Many times the pawn shops sell stuff so quickly that if it is stolen goods it is well out of the area before anyone can find out.

brit said...

jessica! i can't believe this! somebody keyed my car last week and i felt violated . . . i can't imagine someone breaking into my house! i'm glad everyone is okay. maybe if you can't get an alarm system you could put some stickers up and whatever. hang in there. hopefully you'll recover more as time goes by.