Saturday, October 18, 2008

Nashville Trip #4






























Ok the focus of this trip was the basement. (it takes all I have not to call it a cellar...yankee roots) There is practically a full apartment AND a den in this basement...somewhere. Granny and Pa were quite the entertainers back in the day and had all sorts of social gatherings, potlucks, parties etc. The downstairs is only about 1/4 of the way done. We hauled off appx 100 bags of trash as well as about 30 bags worth of recyclable material. We worked on cleaning out the main entryway off the driveway, the front storage room, the hallway from the main entryway toward the laundry room, the laundry room and chipped away a little bit at the bathroom and "office". What we have left is a LARGE main room, a smaller room off the main room, several storage containers, and a closet...I think. Most of this area consists of things in boxes, which are moldy from the environment they were stored in. Other than sorting out a few things for keepsakes amongst the siblings, most of it is probably trash. After this area is the attic. The more we clean out this house the more I'm amazed at how large it is. The attic is practically a full bedroom. With some insulation and drywalling it could be an awesome room. There are several large pieces of furniture up there and your normal attic fodder.
Our biggest hurdle is the mold, mildew and moisture problems in addition to the dust and dander. We are trying to limit our exposure overall and taking precautions in the highly concentrated areas such as the basement. Anyhow, I've included before and after pics (some are not from the same angles), a pic of the Veazey's having some down time and a couple pics of the girls getting to goof off for a while. We've cleared out enough of the house that our next trip up will include the entire Joyce and Veazey families. Our kids are dying to see what we've done.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Wow, you go girl!
I am a sorta neat freak and after looking at these pictures I'm thinking that I should make sure that I don't become a collector of anything. I think you guys are doing an amazing job. I love seeing the after pictures.

Tricia said...

You are amazing. I think it's so great that you are all working together. It's incredible what you can collect over the space of one lifetime.