Monday, April 27, 2009

Trying another new recipe~Mujadarrah

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lentils-and-Rice-with-Fried-Onions-Mujadarrah/Detail.aspx
Feeling that my iron is a bit low I figured the lentils could help out. Everyone likes rice, but the onions...I'm not sure the kids are gonna dig the big stringy pieces. But, we'll give it shot. I have to go buy cumin. I'm not sure how we've managed not to have cumin in the house. Pics and reviews to follow...

The review: It's not much to look at but it sure was good. I added cumin(which I actually DID have in the house and now I have 2 bottles *ugh*), a pinch of cinnamon (per other reviews on allrecipes. note: just a TEENY pinch is more than enough) and a bit of curry as well. Next time I might skip the curry and try garlic. I also opted for Basmati rice vs white or brown rice. I did have to add another 1/2 cup of water and turn the heat up towards the end to get the rice to finish cooking. Also I did chopped onions to add into the mix and onion rings to top. Go with 3 onions vs just 1, it's worth it. The Greek Yogurt or Tzatziki that I made turned out great! I think it was my favorite part. I did modify it slightly as well. I pureed the cucumber and drained both it and the plain yogurt base for a while to keep it from being soupy. I can't imagine how runny it would have been if I didn't make those changes! I think I like this for dressing on a grilled chicken salad with feta and olives or even in a pita with grilled chicken salad.

Anyhow, all of the kids loved it. Megyn felt she needed more flavor and opted for some salt on hers. She also would have liked some chicken in it. That may be a variation I'm willing to try. Joe said "it's like poetry in my mouth and I feel as if I may weep" I don't know about that, but it was pretty yummy. So if you're feeling adventurous this is a good dish. It's SUPER simple and inexpensive. It's packed with fiber and protein and lots of other goodness that our bodies need.

1 comment:

Melissa Hodgen said...

Looks yummy. I have some lentils I need to use up and I want to eat less meat. Thanks for the great idea.